Tuesday, March 13

Beantown Babe Blackout




This was the scene in the Back Bay earlier today.  A large transformer caught fire and smoke started to go all over the neighborhood.  Where was I?  I was a work, only 3 blocks away from the fire.  Here's the crazy part, I didn't even know this was happening.
I closed my store and headed to the gym (woo hoo! 12 goals!).  Just as I was finishing up on the elliptical the entire gym went dark.  Everyone started looking around, one guy said he was just watching the news and heard about the fire.  As soon as I left the gym I quickly realized something big was going on, because it wasn't just the gym it was everything, everywhere.
The Prudential... DARK
The John Handcock Building... DARK
Street Lights... DARK
Traffic Lights... DARK
All this caused cars to go crazy trying to get out of the city, as I tried to walk back to work to get my things.  Leaving normally lit up Newbury Street to look like this:


That's right just a few lights from cars.  I waited at work for a while for everything to calm down.  Since the subways in the neighborhood were closed down, I started walking.  I walked all the way down to the Aquarium where I finally hopped on a train and headed home.
It will surely go down as one of the most interesting commutes I've ever had. 

1 comment:

  1. Still can't believe this happened. A blackout in Boston? Ah! Make it stop!

    ReplyDelete